Cloud Analytics Case StudyOn-demand access to your own data, coupled with Strategenics expertise in Data Analytics delivers the ultimate competitive edge in modern day analytics. Get results today.
The Queensland Government Chief Information Office (QGCIO) is responsible for ensuring the Queensland Government’s ICT investments:
- support policy outcomes
- are focussed on service delivery to the community
- represent good value for money
- are reliable.
The QGCIO provides advice to Queensland Government agencies and executive government on issues such as:
• setting ICT strategy, policies and standards
• adopting better practice for ICT investment management
• identifying and managing risks, including ‘over the horizon’ risks
• developing proposals for major whole-of-government investments
• identifying and managing strategic workforce capability issues
• improving contract outcomes
• facilitating strategic relationships with industry partners.
For over two decades, the QGCIO has collated and managed significant datasets to describe the information assets, applications, technology, and projects undertaken across Queensland Government. The QGCIO originally self hosted their Analytics platform with an internal government ICT group however their legacy system was not cost effective and system reliability was poor. In 2014, the QGCIO decided to test the market and seek competitive tenders from suppliers who could assist the QGCIO migrate and manage their data within a secure cloud environment.
Strategenics were successfully chosen to migrate and host the environment on AWS.
The Strategenics approach
• The Strategenics team undertook a Discovery session and established a formal Transition Plan including a change control document to ensure the migration to the Cloud was successful. The Strategenics approach seeks to identify risks and establish risk mitigations prior to cloud migration activities.
• This project involved developing a Managed service for the QGCIO Analytics Platform by leveraging AWS technologies including Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS), AWS Lambda – Serverless Compute, Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) Buckets, Amazon Elastic Load Balancing (ELB), and Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC).
• The Strategenics team migrated and upgraded an existing Microsoft database to store, collate and transform the base datasets.
• A Managed Service was established, giving the client a secure and private Analytics environment. This provided the QGCIO with internal capability to construct additional analytics visualisations and to view and manipulate existing visualisations and models.
• Strategenics setup, configured and now manage a key Data Analytics platform for whole-of-government analytics for the Queensland Government.
• The QGCIO perform automated security testing of the Analytics Managed Service each week, and our team have furthermore upgraded the environment with multi-factor authentication (MFA), and more advanced user administration and system logging.
• While Strategenics have successfully managed the QGCIO Analytics platform for over 5 years, a new open tender process was launched by the QGCIO in 2019 to again seek competitive tenders from the market. Strategenics were again successfully selected.
• Strategenics have continued to operate, manage, and upgrade the QGCIO Analytics environment to take advantage of the latest cloud technologies.
View other projects
Read more about our fantastic projects